Titans Bulletin from Mr. DeJesus
August 16, 2019
Dear Cedar Hill ES Community,
On behalf of the staff at Cedar Hill Elementary School, I am happy to welcome you to the 2019-2020 school year. Our teachers and staff were excited to welcome your child(ren) back to school for another great year of teaching and learning. During these first few weeks, teachers and staff will be going over the classroom and school processes and procedures, routines and expectations, and much more critical information that your child will need to know, to be ready to learn and have a successful academic year. We recognize that to be successful in school; our students will need support from both the home and the school.
We look forward to collaborating with you once again this year. We strive to provide a safe and nurturing learning environment for your child. Your child’s success is our success.
The school hours are from 8:15 am to 2:45 pm. We open up the front doors for students at 7:40 am. For those students who eat breakfast at school, except kindergarteners, will go straight to the cafeteria to get their breakfast. For kindergartners, they will first report to their classroom, check in with their teachers, and then proceed to the cafeteria. For those students who will not be eating breakfast at school, they will continue to their rooms. We ask parents NOT to drop off their child before 7:40 am. We do not have the supervision to watch over students before our doors open.
During the school year, some teachers will be offering morning tutoring or club activities. We will issue a special pass to those students to allow them to enter into the building before 7:40 am. Parents, if you walk your child into the school in the mornings, please know that you will need to say good-bye to them in the front lobby, as we do not allow visitors to walk to the classrooms.
Our regular daily hours of operation are as follows:
- The building opens at 7:40 am
- Buses unload students at 7:40 am
- The car rider lanes located in the rear of the school will open up at 7:40 am.
- The Tardy bell rings at 8:15 am. If you arrive after 8:15 am, you must come into the building to sign your child in
- The dismissal bell rings at 2:45 pm
- The gate to the car rider lanes in the afternoon opens up at 2:40 pm
Please note that the entrance to the main parking lot of the school is the main entrance for busses. We ask that if you need to walk into the school during the times that the buses are dropping or picking up students, that you park in the upper 3rd lane of parking spaces; otherwise you will not be able to exit until the busses have finished loading or unloading the students.
We have collaborated with local community business partners, and they have generously donated back-to-school supplies like backpacks, paper, pencils, etc. If you need some school supplies, please send in a request with your child.
Our clinic worker, once again this year, will be Ms. Mercedes Dyer. She has requested that parents not send in any medicine with their child to school. An adult has to bring in all medication, including cough drops and oils, herbal supplement (with a doctor’s permission) to school at all times.
In addition, the clinic needs the following items below:
- Sandwich and Snack sized baggies
- Paper towels-sized sheets
- 3-ounce cups Tissue boxes
Reminder, parents will need to complete the Free and Reduced lunch applications every year. If a child was on a free or reduced rate last year, there is a 30-day grace period to give the parents enough time to re-apply. The last day of the 30-day grace period is September 16, so starting on September 17 charges will begin to accrue.
Mark Your Calendar: We have a few significant events happening in August and September.
- Boy Scout Informational meeting—August 20 at 7:00 pm
August 22— We will offer 3 sessions so you can visit all your student’s classes:
Session 1: 6:30 – 6:50 PM
Session 2: 7:00 – 7:20 PM
Session 3: 7:30 – 8:15 PM
Come on out and meet your child’s teachers and learn about the teaching and learning objectives for this school year.
Title I Annual Meeting
- September 5—at 6:30 pm
This annual meeting is an opportunity for all parents and stakeholders to learn about the Title I Program for the 2019-2020 school year and how this program will benefit their children.
Registration for English Classes for Parents
- August 28—from 10:00 am-1:00 pm
The Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) welcomes you back! We are currently seeking Cedar Hill family members to join us once again this year. The fee to join is only $6 for the year. You can sign-up through MypaymentsPlus or write a check payable to Cedar Hill ES PTA. The PTA collectively have done well-raising funds for our teachers and students. Last year our PTA did some amazing things. Here are a few highlights:
- Awarded nine teacher grants totaling $4,500 to purchase items to enrich their classrooms.
- Played a significant role in helping to raise money for the new playground and to purchase extra equipment for students to use while at recess.
- Hosted two movie nights, a Back-to-School Bash, Father-Daughter Dance, Mother-Son Event, and an End of the Year Carnival.
- Paid a well-known book author to come and visit with three of our grade levels.
- Hosted teacher appreciation luncheons for our excellent staff.
- Sponsored their Annual Fall Fundraiser, which helped support school events and teacher grants. We will be starting our Fall Fundraiser on 9/13/19-9/27/19. We would love for all of our Cedar Hill Families to participate even if you only sell one item it will help us to support all of our programs.
Parents, we are encouraging everyone to sign up for My Payments plus. We will use this program to sign field trip forms, and Title I documents. You will also have the chance to put money on your child’s lunch account and quickly pay for field trips and spirit wear. You can sign up by visiting https://www.mypaymentsplus.com/welcome. If you need any help, please call Mrs. Richard at 770-822-1263 or Mrs. Hunter (Spanish) at 678-377-8997.
Please continue to view our website often, as this will be one of the best sources of information. You can access Cedar Hill’s website from the school system’s homepage: https://www.gcpsk12.org/CedarHillES. If you need assistance in Spanish, we do offer interpretation services.
Jose M. DeJesus
Jose M. DeJesus, M.Ed.