• Cedar Hill Titans Logo

    Titans Bulletin from Mr. DeJesus

    March 24, 2021

     

    Dear Cedar Hill ES Community,

    I hope everyone is doing fine and staying safe. Over the last few months, we have had an excellent second semester of teaching and learning. As you know, our teachers have been teaching on two different learning platforms. Currently, we have 67% of our 900 total students attending school in-person, and the other 33% are attending school digitally. The benefit of having two different platforms is that our teachers only focus on the students in front of them, whether in-person or virtually. One drawback is that when a student switches from digital to in-person or vice versa, they must change from their current homeroom teacher.

    As we analyze student work and common assessment data, we see an increase in student achievement. Our teachers are doing an excellent job preparing lesson plans and delivering engaging classes covering the required academic standards as per the GCPS Academic Knowledge and Skills (AKS) curriculum. We also continue to use our professional development days to learn the different available resources to support our digital learning platform.

    Today, GCPS announced a 2021-2022 school year plan that calls for students’ return for in-person learning. The decision considers students’ academic and social-emotional needs, the improving pandemic conditions (lower rates of infection), the availability of vaccinations for teachers and other school staff, and guidance from health experts and organizations. However, they also mentioned that while it is expected that most students will return to learning in classrooms next year, families will have the option of opting out of in-person learning with their child continuing in a modified digital setting. Those parents who wish to opt-out of in-person learning for their child can do so by completing an online survey that will go out on Monday the 22nd.  The deadline to submit the opt-out form will be Sunday, April 4, at 11:59 pm.

    At Cedar Hill ES, we continue with our COVID-19 safety measures. We are still experiencing a steady stream of students identified as either a suspected case or a close contact. Unfortunately, when students have to quarantine for any length of time, it disrupts their learning flow. Once again, I would like to remind the parents to please keep their child home; if their child is not feeling well, please keep them home until they feel better.

    Upcoming Events:

    • Saturday School – March 27, April 17, 24, May 1
    • Progress Reports Go Home – April 2
    • Spring Break – April 5 - 9

    Once again, thank you for your support. Please continue to view our website often, as this will be one of the best sources of information. You can access Cedar Hill’s website from the school system’s homepage: https://www.gcpsk12.org/CedarHillES.  If you need assistance in Spanish, we do offer interpretation services.

    Sincerely,

     

    Jose M. DeJesus, Ed.S.

    Principal