History of Baggett Elementary
Baggett Elementary School is named after Boyd Q. Baggett, a former Gwinnett principal.
Mr. Baggett first came to Gwinnett County in 1948 to be the new principal at the Bethesda School. He served there until 1953, when he went to the Lawrenceville School. He was principal there until the fall of 1957, when he became the first principal of the new Central Gwinnett High School.
The year 1957 was momentous in that it was the first postwar consolidation of schools in Gwinnett County. Four new high schools opened about that time: Central Gwinnett, North Gwinnett, South Gwinnett and West Gwinnett.
Mr. Baggett was principal at Central Gwinnett until 1964, when he left to be an assistant to the county school superintendent, primarily recruiting teachers for Gwinnett's rapidly growing educational system.