Summer Reading 2019
Students who read a minimum of 10 books over the summer will maintain, if not improve, their end-of-school reading level.
Digital Summer Reading Challenge from Gwinnett Public Library.
Summer Reading is going digital this summer. You can connect with Gwinnett Public Library through Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/GwinnettLibrary). Read below for some of the highlights of this year's challenge.
Logins for current Grades 1-5 are as follows: User: student# (201......) and Password: student birthdate (mmdd, ex. Jan 5 = 0105)
Kindergarten students will need to create an account.
Here are some of the highlights of how the reading challenge will take place:
- Earn points by reading (1 minute = 1 point), participating in virtual programs, doing activity badges, and completing weekly and pop-up challenge badges
- Participants will 'complete' the program by earning 480 points but can earn extra chances to win the more points they accumulate
- We'll be giving away Kindle Fire tablets to a handful of winners at the end of the summer and they will be mailed directly to the winners' houses
- Because we are unable to give away books all summer, we're going to pay for a GCPS Book Mobile event at one ES, MS, and HS. The schools with the most students completing the program will win the Book Mobile event. We will give books to all the finishers and as many others as we can (we'll work with you to identify students who are either deserving or in special need of a new book).
- Participants can do activities all summer long that will earn them points by completing the Activity Badge challenges
- On top of the permanent collection of Activity Badge challenges, we'll be having exclusive, weekly challenges all summer long that will be introduced by fun videos on Facebook and Instagram (students don't need to watch the videos to complete the challenges). There will also be easy to complete, pop-up challenges on a regular basis that will award small points, as well.
- On top of our regular video programming on Facebook - Virtual Sewing Club, Backyard Biology, Storytime Takeout, etc. - we will be organizing virtual summer camps for kids and teens in June and July. Participation in any of these can also result in points.
GCPS Book Mobile @ Discovery Cluster
Stay tuned for more information on when the bus will be in your area.