GCPS Summer Options
Discovery Community School
Discovery High School Summer School Health and Physical Education are being offered virtually
through Discovery Community School. Classes are virtual and will begin on Tuesday, May 31st, 2022
and end on Thursday, June 23rd, 2022.
These courses are graduation requirements but can be taken any time during a student’s four years.
While optional, successful completion of these two courses over the summer will give your student
open slots in his/her future academic schedule. These two summer courses are recommended for
rising 9th grade students interested in band, orchestra, theater, athletics, as well as any other rising 9th
grader who wants to open two class slots during the normal school year for other courses and
opportunities. These two summer courses are also recommended for any rising 10th – 12th grade
student at Discovery High School still in need of their Health and PE credits both of which are
required for graduation.
The Health course cost is $250.00 and the PE course cost is $250.00. With the successful completion
of each course, you will earn the .5 credit for each course and will fulfill a graduation requirement. You
may register for one course or for both courses.
Registration: Complete the registration and payment on mypaymentsplus. Please contact Jeffrey Glass
with any questions or concerns about the Summer Health and PE courses at Jeffrey.Glass@gcpsk12.org
or call 770-277-2246 for the Discovery High School Community School office. Each course will be
capped at 50 students so register ASAP!
General Information for Summer Health and PE Class Offerings:
- Course dates: Tuesday, May 31st, 2022 – Thursday, June 23rd, 2022
- The courses are four-week intensive courses designed to cover all Gwinnett County Public
Schools AKS Curriculum with daily deadlines during the 4-week period. Because of the
abbreviated length of the courses, there is a required daily time commitment of several hours.
- Because the courses will be delivered online through Zoom and eClass, a reliable internet
connection Monday-Friday each week is important to success in this class even if traveling.
- Students will be required to attend Zoom classes daily and complete assignments daily on
eClass. Attendance every class day is mandatory to receive credit for the course completion.
- Students will be provided ALL due dates for assignments and a class schedule on the first
day/session of each course.
- Health – Mandatory Zoom classes begin at 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM daily, Monday-Friday.
- PE – Mandatory Zoom classes begin at 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM daily, Monday-Friday.
- PE – Students must have access to a smartphone for tracking/sharing workouts with instructor
First Day of Class and Introductory Zoom Meeting/eClass Orientation: Tuesday, May 31st, 2022
- Health students attend Zoom/eClass at 8:00 AM -10:00 AM
- PE students attend Zoom/eClass at 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM