Welcome to the Early Childhood Education Program at Maxwell High School. We are excited that you have chosen to join us for an exciting year learning about how children grow and develop.
Maxwell offers unique opportunities to students who complete the year-long course and pass the End of Pathway Assessment.
- Students earn up to four units of high school credit.
- Students participate in practicum experiences working in the on-site preschool and Pre-K classrooms.
- Students create and implement lesson plans using the Georgia Early Learning Standards.
- Courses are year long and last three periods.
- Students are able to get their fourth unit of science.
- Students participate in the student organization Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America
- Maxwell's Work Ready Program prepares students to move on to post secondary learning institutions
and/or enter the workforce by creating portfolios, learning what it means to "Dress for Success", writing
resumes, and participating in "Mock Interviews" with business partners.
The ECE program is designed to prepare students for careers in working with young children. The first six weeks of the school year, we will have an orientation period to prepare you for working with young children in a hands-on setting. After this training period, we will begin practicum rotations in our on-site Preschool classroom and Pre-K classrooms. Because we work with real children, we have some very specific guidelines regarding conduct and the necessity of a strong professional image. Students must pass a criminal background check, adhere to strict attendance requirements, maintain professional dress, and students are responsible for completing assigned duties working in a Preschool and Pre-K setting.