Shiloh Middle School opened in 1982 and is currently in its 38th year. Located in the southwestern region of Gwinnett County, near Highway 78, Stone Mountain Park, and the DeKalb County line, Shiloh Middle School campus sits adjacent to Shiloh Elementary and across the street from Shiloh High School. The clustering of these three schools has helped to create a small-town atmosphere within this sprawling suburban county.
The Shiloh Cluster has expanded to include the following schools: Anderson-Livsey Elementary, Annistown Elementary, Centerville Elementary, Partee Elementary, Shiloh Elementary, and Shiloh High School. Shiloh Middle has steadily grown in size since opening with a current enrollment of approximately 1850 students.
The school was built on what was once a peach and apple orchard. Shiloh was named in honor of the Shiloh community and Shiloh Baptist Church, which housed a two-room schoolhouse for African-American students. Shiloh Baptist Church was founded in the 1800s, and records indicate that the school served students from the late 1800s through the mid-1950s.
The original mascot was "The Spartans" and the school colors were red, blue and white. The mascot was renamed "The Generals" and the school colors are now black silver and white.