Message From Our Principal
Dear Starling Families,
Welcome back to school! I hope everyone had a relaxing and enjoyable summer break. We are off to a smooth start to the 2019-20 school year. This year, our theme is Level Up: Learning at the Next Level. This theme reflects our commitment to excellence for all students every day and in every classroom.
Starling takes great pride in creating an educational atmosphere where students can learn in a caring and nurturing environment. Together our staff encourages students to engage in a lifelong love of learning. As we focus on student achievement, we will provide a variety of academic and educational experiences that promote student growth and learning throughout the year. We will continue to focus on the use of eCLASS and integration of technology in all content areas. We are continuing the implementation of the Craft of Reading and Writing. Our goal is to create a culture and love of literacy.
I encourage you to take an active role in your child’s learning. Parent involvement plays a critical role in our school’s success. Ways to support and increase your child’s academic success include:
- Make attendance a PRIORITY including limiting tardiness and absences
- Check Parent Portal regularly to stay informed of student progress
- Communicate often with your child’s homeroom teacher
- Read with your child at least 20 minutes a day
- Limit television and social media, and encourage outside play
- Review the school day with your child and eCLASS course pages often for assignments and assessment dates
As part of Gwinnett County Public Schools’ focus on safety, our school uses a visitor management system. This system requires visitors to be “buzzed” into the school. An office representative will ask each visitor to state their purpose prior to entering the building as an enhancement to the visitor management system. This safety protocol will help to establish greater door control at the primary entrance of the school.
With safety in mind, here are few reminders of how the visitor management system works:
- During normal arrival and dismissal times, key entrances are open to allow students to enter and leave school.
- Once the school day begins at promptly at 8:15 AM, our doors will be locked. All visitors will need to press the bell button on the visitor management system for assistance and entry into the school.
- Upon entering the school, all visitors need to sign-in, show ID, and receive a yellow visitor’s badge.
Thank for your support and for working with us to ensure the safety of our students and staff.
It is an honor and privilege to serve as your principal. Together, I know we will make this year one of growth and achievement. The staff and I are looking forward to an educationally rewarding school year with you and your children. I hope that you will visit and volunteer often.
With Starling Pride,
Mrs. Jacinta Henry, Principal