Student Dress Code and Cell Phone Procedure
Dress Code for Students
The dress code is designed to reduce the likelihood of distraction or disruption to the daily academic focus. Couch Middle School should be considered a work place and students should dress accordingly. Instruction is interrupted when a student is referred to an administrator for inappropriate dress. If, in the judgment of the administration or staff, a student is dressed inappropriately, the student will be required to change clothing or call home for new clothing. (Special Circumstances are addressed in writing to the Principal.)
- Headgear: Headgear is prohibited and must be kept out of site in the building (hats should not be carried or worn in the building). This includes, but is not limited to, hoods, bandannas, wave caps, bonnets, sweatbands, sunglasses, etc. No combs, rakes, curlers, or picks may be worn in the hair.
- Shirts/blouses/tops/t-shirts: Blouses/shirts will be constructed so that there is some amount of sleeve (no sleeveless tops, halter tops, strapless tops, spaghetti straps or bare shoulder tops of any type will be allowed). Blouses/shirts, which expose any portion of the waist, hips, or stomach, are not allowed. (If you raise your arms to shoulder level and the bare stomach, side, or back shows, the top is unacceptable). Other blouses/shirts that are not appropriate for school include, but are not limited to, low-cut, see-through, backless or tube tops. Rips or holes are not allowed in shirts/tops. Undergarments will not be visible. Students are not to wear sleeveless shirts/jerseys without an acceptable shirt worn beneath.
- Dresses/shorts/skirts: All dresses, shorts and skirts must be longer than mid-thigh with or without leggings. Waistline of shorts/skirts/pants must be on or above hips with no underwear showing.
- Pants: There should be no slits, rips or holes above the mid-thigh of any clothing that show skin or undergarments. All pants will be worn at the waist. Undergarments will not be visible.
- Pajamas, sleepwear, blankets: No pajamas or sleepwear will be worn in the school setting. Students should not bring blankets to school unless directed to do so by a teacher for a specific activity.
- Shoes: Shoes must be worn at all times. Students are not allowed to trade shoes. Shoes with lights or wheels are not allowed. House slippers are not allowed.
- Leggings or Spandex: All leggings worn must be fully opaque (no skin tone or undergarments should show through), and they must be worn with a shirt/top that is longer than mid-thigh at all times. “Bike shorts” will not be allowed.
- Earbuds/headphones: Earbuds, airpods, headphones, etc. are not allowed to be visible at any time.
- No student’s clothing should display words or symbols that are inflammatory, derogatory, insulting to other students, or in reference to gangs. Articles of clothing with words or designs that are suggestive, obscene, violent in nature, or related to drugs or alcohol are prohibited.
- Spikes, chains, or other items which might be considered weapons are prohibited.
- Dress Code requirements apply to all school days and on field trips/school functions.
- Any student dress/appearance not specifically stated which the faculty or staff deems undesirable/inappropriate will not be permitted.
It is essential that students respect the learning environment by being appropriately dressed for school. The purpose of the student dress code is not to inhibit any person's taste in attire, but rather to better facilitate the process of education through reasonable guidelines of dress, instilling dignity and pride.
This dress code list is NOT exhaustive. Couch Middle reserves the right to amend and change the dress code whenever additional items disrupt the learning environment. Please see the school website or Facebook page for the most recent version of the dress code.
Procedure: Students who choose to wear distracting articles of clothing or have a distracting appearance will be sent to the office to call their parents so the parent can be notified of the dress code violation and can bring a change of clothes. If parents are unavailable, students may be isolated for the day. Parents will be notified of the problematic clothes. Repeated violations will result in discipline action.
Cell Phone Procedure
Students may have cell phones at Couch Middle School. However, they must be turned off (not silent) and put "Away for the Day!" The phones may not be on their person or turned on during school hours without specific permission from the classroom teacher. If a student’s phone is out at any time, or if the cell phone disrupts any classroom in any way, consequences (ranging from teacher detention to out of school suspension) will be assigned to the student. Parents, please help us make sure cell phones do not disrupt the classroom environment by NOT texting your child during the school day. If he/she/they need information from you, please call the front office so that they can relay the message for you.