Media Center Information
The mission of the Shiloh Middle Media Center is to provide quality media, technology, and information services in an effort to enhance learning and ensure access to global ideas and information for all. We are committed to providing media resources, facilities, and services for students to develop critical thinking skills. We encourage the pursuit of lifelong learning, reading, and open-mindedness. We evoke creativity and develop procedures which allow optimum accessibility and effective utilization of all resources. We aim to provide the flexibility necessary to individualize instruction for all students.Candice Mathews, Media Specialist770.972.3224
Monday - Friday 9:20 AM- 3:45 PM
Meet Our Staff
Candice Mathews, Media Specialist
Welcome! I am Mrs. Mathews and I am excited to serve students and staff in our Media Center. My education experience includes an Associate's degree in Computer Information Systems from Gwinnett Technical College, a Bachelor's degree in Interdisciplinary Studies from Georgia Southern University, a Master's degree in Instructional Technology-School Library Media from Georgia Southern University, and a Specialist degree in Instructional Technology-School Library Media from the University of West Georgia. I love helping students find book genres they truly enjoy. I also love working with students with digital tools to create and extend their learning. When I am not at school, I am spending time with my family and two dogs.
Media Center Policies
- Students are welcome to use the Media Center for research and class assignments.
- Students may check out three books for two weeks.
- Any overdue items must be returned before a student can check out another item.
- Lost books must be paid for before a student can check out another book. Hardcover books cost $20 and paperback books cost $10 to replace.
- Students who return damaged items will be assessed a fee relative to the amount or type of damage. If the book is unusable, then the replacement cost will prevail.
- Overdue notices will be sent to the homeroom teacher weekly. Overdue notices will also be emailed to parents weekly.
- Students must have a pass to access the media center.
- Students must sign in at the front desk upon entering the media center.
Computer Usage and Printing
- Students can use their network login and password to access their library account.
- All computer use should follow the Internet Safety and Network Acceptable Use Policy of the Gwinnett County Public School District.
- No games are allowed on the Media Center computers.
- Failure to follow Media Center rules will result in the loss of media center privileges.
- Students should first use the subscription databases for research projects. These are provided by GCPS free of charge for student use.
- Databases and the library catalog can be accessed at home through My eClass. Passwords are no longer needed to access these at home.
- Students may print up to 5 black and white copies on the media center printers.
Readers Rally is a quiz bowl style competition for students in grades 4 – 12. Students read books from a predetermined list and answer questions about those books. Each Gwinnett County school may send one team of up to 10 players to the Readers Rally. Middle school teams read the books nominated for the Georgia Children’s Book Awards each year. The list includes 10 books.
The 2023-2024 Middle School Readers Rally book list, summaries, and book trailers can be viewed here.
Comics Plus can be access through the GCPS portal in the Online Research Library.
Gwinnett County Public Schools subscribes to over 30 different databases. These databases contain educational and academic resources in many subject areas. These databases are created with education and student use in mind. These are specifically designed for your student to be successful at finding authoritative, accurate information with ease.
It is the policy at Shiloh Middle for students to use these databases for research. The databases are accessible from any GCPS networked computer.
Students can access these at home through MY eClass. Passwords are no longer needed to access these at home. Locate the Online Research Library from the APPS tab.
Click the link below to begin your research adventure!