Grayson High School encourages good attendance for academic growth and success. Remember our focus is Teaching and Learning. All students are expected to be in class on time and ready to learn. Students who are not in class will receive major consequences for failing to comply with our attendance policies. We understand that good attendance correlates strongly and effectively with higher grades in school. This communication is important to school culture and climate for academic and behavioral excellence.
When students are NOT in the classroom they are not learning and can become a danger to themselves and others.
Parent/student Tip for success - please read pages 18 - 21 in the student handbook related to attendance, tardies, and aWOLS.
Here are 5 important things to know about attendance at Grayson High School:
1. Students who are AWOL at Grayson HS will be placed immediately in ISS when discovered.
2. Students who are on Permissive Transfer MUST NOT have excessive tardies and/or absences. These violations could result into immediate revoking of their permissive transfer.
3. Students who are in extracurricular activities such as sports, band, choir, leadership clubs, and fine arts productions, etc... will be reported to their coach, mentor, and sponsor for poor attendance patterns/ behaviors. These actions could result into failure to participate in the activity/ game that day and/or week.
4. Students with excessive tardies and/or absences will have their PARKING PASS privileges revoked.
5. Students in trailer classes must move swiftly to their classes during the school day.
Thank you again stakeholders for supporting the overall school climate and culture of Grayson High School for exceptional academics. Have a wonderful 2019 - 2020 school year.
On the day a student returns to school, he/she is to bring a note signed by his/her parent or guardian explaining the absence from school to the attendance office. The note should include the date, reason, parent signature, and phone number. Notes must be received within 2 days of the absence, after that professional documentation is needed. A doctor’s note is required after ten (10) parent notes. Please keep in mind absent notes that vaguely reference family emergency will not be excused. Also, if a student is out more than three consecutive days, a doctor’s note is required. Doctor offices and parents can fax the documentation to the attendance office (678) 442-5361. Parents can also email excuses (both professional and parent) to Cindy.Green@gcpsk12.org and Carla.Mitchell@gcpsk12.org.
Georgia State Board of Education Rule 160-5-1-10 defines the following absences as excused:
- Personal Illness
- A serious illness or death in a student’s immediate family
- Court order or an order by a government agency
- Observing religious holidays
- Visitation with a parent prior to or during leave from deployment to a combat zone or combat support posting as a member of the armed forces of the U.S. or the National Guard