Parent Teacher Association
Starling Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) is comprised of families, teachers, administrators, and business and community leaders devoted to the educational success of our children and the promotion of parent involvement in schools. The mission of Starling Elementary PTA is to support our teachers and administrators and to supplement and enrich the curriculum our children are being taught. We desire to create a spirit of inclusion so that all stake holders in our children’s education feel valuable and welcome in our school. We seek to involve every parent and to help members of our community contribute to our school’s success. Our goal is to work toward the National and Georgia PTA’s goal of a quality education and nurturing environment for every child. As your childs' first teacher, you play a big part in how well your son or daughter does in school. We invite you to work with our teachers to help students get all they can out of their growing years.
Starling PTA is a registered nonprofit association. We provide resources and educational activities for our children and their families, and we provide support for our teachers. We serve as a forum for parents, teachers, administrators and any concerned persons, and bring them together to discuss ways to promote quality education and arts in education, encourage community involvement, and to work towards a safe and healthy environment. Membership in Starling PTA is open to anyone who wants to be involved and make a difference for our children at Starling Elementary School. Every person who joins Starling PTA automatically becomes a member of both the state and National PTAs. Join Starling PTA for great benefits you get as a result of being a member. You can also donate to Starling PTA by being our community partners. The National/ Georgia PTA Mission Statement is to be a powerful voice for all children; a relevant resource for families and communities; and a strong advocate for the education and well-being of every child. The National PTA Vision is "Making Every Child's Potential a Reality."
All Pro Dads
Attention Dads & Kids! Join us for the Starling Elementary All Pro Dad’s Day at 7:00 a.m.
Team up with other dads and kids at our school for a quick, fun breakfast. You’ll take away some great tips and resources to help you be the best dad you can be, and you’ll strengthen your relationship with your kids at the same time.
PLEASE RSVP AT https://allprodadsday.com/chapters/11043 as food and drink will be provided.
For more information: Roystarlingpta@gmail.com
Thank you to our partners in education!
See all our Business Partners here.
Calendar of PTA Events
PTA Events by Month
5th- First Day of School
20th – 3-5 Curriculum Night
22nd – K-2 Curriculum Night
More dates coming soon!
PTA Board 2019-2020
Co-Presidents: Tamara Phillips and Susan Campbell, email email@example.com
VP of Student Activities: Krissy Lyell, email firstname.lastname@example.org
VP of Hospitality: Amy Stagl, email email@example.com
VP of Communication & Community: Austin Burrous, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer: Mike Stagl, email email@example.com
Recording Secretary: TaNeeka Hinds, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Membership Secretary: Traci Babcock, email email@example.com
Committee Email Addresses
PTA MEMBERSHIP - PLEASE JOIN PTA – ONLY $5
Why should you join PTA? The number one reason to join the PTA is to benefit your child. If your teacher gets 1 membership for every student in their class, they will get a $100 gift card to buy supplies for YOUR Class. This must be done by Oct 9. By joining PTA, you also help your school. Last year Starling Elementary PTA was able to help the school purchase our newest playground station. Starling PTA sponsors several family and student activities such as:
- $100 gift card for 100% membership – by Oct 9
- Skate Night and Spirit Nights
- Member Movie Night – Free with a PTA membership
- Mother / Son Night
- Father / Daughter Dance
- Holiday Shoppe
- Red Ribbon Week Activities
- Honor Roll Breakfast and awards
- 5th grade activities
- Teacher & Staff Appreciation Events
- Special Funding as requested by the school
- Lunch and Learns
- Fall Bash
- All Pro Dads
You don’t have to be a parent to join PTA. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, older siblings, etc. can all join PTA and help your child’s school. Need more reasons?
- Get Connected. There’s no better way to know what’s happening in your school.
- Discover Great Resources. The PTA offers a variety of programs designed for parents as well as students.
- Tap into a Network. Parenting is not easy—it helps to share ideas, concerns and experiences with other parents and educators in the community. PTA functions are opportunities to meet other parents and teachers, building rapport and discussing issues that are on your mind.
- Watch Yourself Grow. By volunteering with your PTA, you gain valuable experiences. It’s an opportunity to put your skills and hobbies to good use for a good cause—your child and all children in the community.
- Speak Up. Because the PTA is a forum for exchanging ideas, you are encouraged to make suggestions. PTA can be a way for you to more effectively suggest change at your child’s school.
- Witness Improvement. By getting involved at your child’s school you’ll be part of the solution, helping make positive changes. Local PTAs play an important role in fundraising to provide building improvements, curriculum-based programs, and social events—all vital to a school’s success.
- Be a Role Model. By becoming a PTA member, you’ll be demonstrating to your child the importance you place on education.
What is PTA Reflections?
The Reflections Program is a National PTA and Georgia PTA cultural arts competition. Since 1969, over 10 million students across the nation have taken part in this popular PTA program. The purpose of this program is to provide an opportunity for students to use their creative talents by expressing themselves through their own original works. The excitement and enthusiasm that the program generates for students, parents, schools and communities is unmatched with the majority of Georgia PTAs participating in the program at all PTA levels. Young artists get involved through their local PTA or PTSA. A student may submit an entry in any of six arts areas. Only original works of art are accepted. The six art areas are: Visual Arts Photography, Literature, Music Composition, Dance Choreography, and Film Production. That's why the Reflections Program provides an excellent opportunity for students of all ages to:
• Unleash their creative talents and be inspired
• Express themselves imaginatively in their artwork
• Experience the joy and fun of making art
• Tap into critical thinking skills to create art inspired by the annual theme
• Receive positive recognition for their original works of art
Contest Rules and Forms
Official Rules and Entry Forms can be picked up at the Reflections display in the school lobby. All Entries are Due September 28th to your teacher or the school lobby. Please contact the Reflections Committee with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Students in Pre-K through Grade 12 are encouraged to participate in the 2018-2019 National PTA Reflections Arts Program! This year’s program theme is "Heroes Around Me." It's easy to participate:
- Reflect on this year's theme: Heroes Around Me.
- Create an original work inspired by the theme.
- Celebrate your achievements and win prizes!
Tips for a Successful Entry
Fill Out the Entry Form COMPLETELY Be sure to fill in all spaces on your entry form and check all the appropriate boxes including your grade and category you are entering. You and your parent must also sign the form. Incomplete forms will delay your entry.
Title and Artist Statement Judges will consider your title and artist statement to learn more about your original work and creative interpretation of the theme. Give your work a title that stands out and describe how your work relates to your own personal interpretation of the theme. Use these guiding questions to help you write an artist statement:
- How does your work relate to the theme?
- What is your personal connection to the theme?
- What did you use to create your work (e.g., supplies, technology, instrumentation, props, etc.)
- What/who was your inspiration?
Review Criteria - Judges look for personal interpretations on the program theme that best exemplify creativity and technical skill. Interpretation: How closely the piece relates to the theme, based on the work itself and the artist statement. Creativity: How creative and original the piece is in its conception of the theme and its presentation. Technique: The level of skill demonstrated in the basic principles/techniques of the arts area.
Make Sure Your Work Relates Closely to the Theme! Before beginning your piece, “reflect” or think about what the theme means to you. The piece you create must closely relate to this year’s theme. 50% of your judges score will be based on your interpretation of the theme!
Follow the Rules and Guidelines! Read all the rules and guidelines carefully before creating your art piece. Some categories have specific size limits and mounting requirements and require digital images be submitted. Music and video files must be submitted on a thumb drive and only certain file types are accepted.
HAVE FUN EXPRESSING YOURSELF!