Osborne Middle School Council
School Council Member 2023-24
Chairperson : Randy Tindall
Vice Chairperson: Paul Schlitz
Parent: John Murphy
Parent : Ted Villwock
Teacher : Kellyn Aguilar
Teacher : Michael McIntyre
School Council Meeting Dates 2023-24
- Thursday, September 7, 2023
- Thursday, October 19, 2023 (MC Cluster School Council Meeting)
- Thursday, January 25, 2024
- March 2023 - TBD
About School Council
The purpose of school councils is to “bring communities and schools closer together in a spirit of cooperation to solve difficult educational problems, improve academic achievement, provide support for teachers and administrators, and bring parents into the school-based decision-making process.”
Who Serves on a School Council?
School councils are comprised of a minimum of seven council members:
- The principal
- At least two certificated teachers elected by the teachers
- A number of parents are elected by the parents, so that parents make up a majority of the council. At least 2 parents must be businesspersons
- Other members as specified in the council's bylaws
Councilmembers serve a term of two years, or for a term specified in the council's bylaws.
What are the Roles and Responsibilities of Council Members?
All members of the School Council must:
- Maintain a school-wide perspective on issues,
- Regularly participate in council meetings,
- Participate in information and training programs,
- Act as a link between the school council and the community,
- Encourage the participation of parents and others within the school community, and
- Work to improve student achievement and performance.
What is the role of the Local Board of Education in School Councils?
The local board of education shall:
- Provide all information not specifically made confidential by law
- Assign an employee of the school system to attend council meetings when requested
- Receive and consider all recommendations, including the annual report, of the school council
- The local board of education shall respond to recommendations of the council within 60 days after being notified in writing of the recommendation.