Archer High School
Address: 2255 New Hope Road Road
Lawrenceville, GA 30045
The following have served as principals of Archer High School:
2009–2012 Dr. Charles “Buck” Buchanan
2012–Present Ken Johnson
School Colors: Red and Gray
School Mascot: Archer Tigers
Archer High School is a public high school Lawrenceville, Georgia. Archer HS is operated by Gwinnett County Public Schools (GCPS) and is named after Gwinnett County teacher and coach Benjamin Vernon Archer.
The school officially opened on Monday, August 10, 2009, with enrollment topping 1,200 students. The Archer cluster consists of Harbins Elementary, Cooper Elementary, Lovin Elementary, McConnell Middle, and Archer High School. As of the 2019–2020 school year Archer HS has an enrollment of over 2,800 students.
Archer High, Grayson/Dacula Relief Cluster. The school is named after beloved coach and longtime Gwinnett teacher Benjamin Vernon (B.V.) Archer who taught and coached basketball for 35 years. Born in Gwinnett County, B.V. lived his entire life in the Harbins community. One of 14 children, he attended Oak Grove School and graduated from Dacula High School in 1936. He was one of a long line of Archers who played basketball at Dacula, as members of the family played on school teams from the early 1930s until 1954. B.V. lettered in basketball all four years of his high school career.
After high school graduation, B.V. attended Young Harris College. Working his way through college, he earned his degree from Piedmont College. B.V. began his teaching career at Sunny Hill School in 1940. He taught for several years before being called into active duty with the U.S. Army. After serving his country for nearly four years, he came home. He returned to teaching and coaching, and, while he served in many schools, he spent most of his time at Dacula High School. Interestingly, he actually coached four of his siblings— Hazel, Dorothy, Jean, and Billy.
B.V. was well-respected by his students and players. Some recalled him as being “the best math teacher.” He was tough and strict in the classroom, as well as on the basketball court. His love for coaching and the game of basketball was recognized by all, including his players. Several of his teams won county and district championships, and his 1954 Girls’ Basketball Team won the state championship. He loved children and enjoyed seeing the ones he taught and coached do well. Key to his students’ success were the lessons regarding high expectations and mutual respect that he taught. He expected respect from his students and the teams he coached and he taught them to respect others.
Archer High School was formally dedicated on October 4, 2009. Dr. Charles “Buck” Buchanan welcomed guests to the festive community event. As part of the ceremony, individuals who served on The
Crest Committee gave the inspiration, sharing about the creation of the Archer Cluster community. A highlight of the day were the remarks shared by Jean Archer Sikes, the sister of B.V. Archer.
As a new school, Archer focused on building a tradition of both academic and athletic excellence and continues that tradition to this day.