Early Childhood Program / Preschool
Gwinnett County Early Childhood Program is designed with the developmental stages of the young child in mind. We offer a play-based curriculum through which the child's learning goals -- the Individual Education Program (IEP) -- can be addressed.
Our goal is to lead and support the education of young children, in partnership with families, and to provide each child with special needs a rich and challenging educational experience.
Any preschool child, 3, 4, or 5 years old, who is found eligible because he or she shows:
- developmental delays.
- attention or behavior problems.
- speech and/or language difficulties.
- hearing or vision impairments.
- physical or medical disabilities.
Eligibility is determined through evaluation by a team of specialists with input from the parents. Learn more about our special needs preschool services.
Where are services provided?
Special Education Preschool Services are provided at a variety of locations throughout Gwinnett County. Based on your child's needs, IEPs may be addressed:
- in your child's current preschool or day care center.
- in a preschool or day care center working with GCPS.
- in your home.
- in a classroom housed within a Gwinnett County School.
These placements may be supported by one or more of the following:
- parent training programs.
- speech/language therapy.
- occupational therapy.
- physical therapy.
- vision and hearing services.
- other services as needed.
There is no fee for any service offered.
When should I call?
Call now if you think your child may need our services. Children who qualify may be served as early as their third birthday.
Why are services offered?
Because we believe:
- all children have the potential to learn and succeed.
- success is best fostered by close collaboration between families and educators.
- a "team" approach promotes development in all areas of a child's life.
- early intervention does make a difference.
How do I apply for services?
Please review the Early Childhood Program brochure and download the following documents (English and Spanish translations below). To receive additional information, contact our parent referral line: (678) 301-7244, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Early Childhood Referral Introduction Letter
- 2021-22 Required Documents
- Parent Referral Questionnaire
- General Education Teacher Questionnaire