South Gwinnett High School
Principal: Rodney Jordan
2288 East Main Street, Snellville, GA 30078
The following school highlights showcase how South Gwinnett High School is fulfilling Gwinnett County Public School's four strategic priorities of Empathy, Equity, Effectiveness, and Excellence. Visit the School Profile Dashboard to find more detailed data on our school.
- The 3DE program at South Gwinnett High School is a full immersion school within the school designed to provide students with core academic courses. The program also includes Advanced Placement courses, delivered by dedicated 3DE teachers, to ensure an engaging and interdisciplinary learning environment. 3DE strategically blends the core competencies of school districts, Junior Achievement, and the broader business community to initiate transformation from the inside out. Additionally, 3DE partners with local school districts to challenge high school students in relevant case challenges that revolve around high-growth industries and businesses. The case challenges are integrated within English, science, math, and history courses, which means students are learning the context of these academic concepts through the lens of a business scenario. Then, as seniors, the students are provided opportunities, including semester-long internships, where they collaborate with partner organizations to gain experience in the workplace. The result is a model that effectively utilizes networks, resources, and expertise structured around real-world problems.
- South Gwinnett High School students earned the top honors in Arby's National Case Competition, held on March 30. South Gwinnett’s National Winners are Mycah Mitchell, Lubna Jalloh, Maisie Wreh, Taliaa Pouncey, and Kyle Gordon. The team was led by Mrs. Nikki Williams, who provides instruction through 3DE Marketing Principles within the Business Entrepreneurship Hospitality (BEH) Academy.South Gwinnett’s team impressed the audience with its recommendation of a ‘Make Your Own Sandwich’ kiosk and the clickable prototype they created to demonstrate it. Arby’s judge, Dan Burns, shared that what defines a winning team is realizing that everyone plays a very important role in a team and as a team. He told each member of the South Gwinnett team, “You represented not only your project but yourselves and your team just phenomenally.”
- The Career, Technical Education Department now has 13 Pathways, 4 Career Academies, and the 9th grade Academy. We celebrated 390 pathway completers on 5/11/23: up from 332 last year. Many of the pathway completers earned college credit for the coursework they completed in those pathways.
- College and Career: 2022 College and Career Fair-Over 400 students participated. 32 Colleges and Universities. Some students received on-the-spot acceptance letters.
- The Army JROTC program at South Gwinnett High School has experienced remarkable growth and development, resulting in a momentous achievement for one of its senior cadets. A graduating senior was awarded a staggering $500,000 scholarship to attend the prestigious United States Military Academy at West Point. West Point is renowned worldwide for its excellence in training and educating future leaders of the United States Army. Established in 1802 and located in West Point, New York, it is ranked #9 out of 210 National Liberal Arts Colleges, reflecting its exceptional performance across various indicators of excellence. South Gwinnett High School's JROTC program takes immense pride in encouraging its scholars to become highly competitive candidates for all United States Service Academies, fostering upward mobility and leadership capacity.
- “An amazing STEM Fair held at South 2/28/23; 22 students participated and presented 12 science, robotics, engineering, and computer science projects. SGHS had 11 of those 22 young scientists/engineers participate in the annual Gwinnett Science, Engineering, and Innovation Fair Friday, 2/24/23, @ the Gas South Convention Center. There were 600 plus projects and 1000 students that competed. The following 11 Comets placed in the competitions: Tolani Adedipi, Narjise Koko, and Alaya McCall(Engineering Technology), Justine Arias & Kamar Sherwood (Engineering Technology), Evelyn Villeda & Serena Shi (Earth & Environmental Science), Kyla Providence, Lorien Burrell, & Christian Mohead (Earth & Environmental Science), Hamza Hermoje (Physics & Astronomy).“
- South Gwinnett High School is on a journey to becoming an AP Capstone school by 2025, a prestigious honor that will benefit students in numerous ways. By achieving this status, students will gain a significant advantage in the college admissions process, as colleges recognize the rigor and academic excellence of the AP Capstone program. The program encourages students to become independent thinkers and fosters the development of critical skills, preparing them for success in higher education and beyond. Joining the ranks of approximately 2,000 high schools nationwide, South Gwinnett will offer students the opportunity to earn the coveted 'AP Capstone' Diploma by meeting specific requirements determined by the College Board organization.
- South Gwinnett High School's PSLM (Public Service, Law, and Media) Academy has formed a strategic partnership with the Gwinnett County District Attorney's Office and the Snellville Police Department. This collaboration offers students in the academy unique and valuable opportunities to gain "real-world" application experience in law and criminal justice. Through this partnership, students will have access to relevant experiences, resources, and mentorship from some of Georgia's most impactful and influential practitioners in the field. The program aims to empower students interested in law and criminal justice to develop practical skills and knowledge that will be instrumental in their future career.
- South Gwinnett High School is actively pursuing the prestigious RAMP (Recognized ASCA Model Program) designation for its school counseling program. RAMP is a national recognition that highlights schools dedicated to delivering counseling programs in alignment with the ASCA National Model framework. This designation serves as a testament to the school's commitment to supporting the mission of the school and district. Administrators, school boards, families, and the community at large will recognize that South Gwinnett is providing students with counseling services of the highest caliber in public education. The comprehensive counseling services offered include college preparation, post-secondary planning, scholarship acquisition, and more, ensuring students receive the necessary support for their academic and personal growth.
- South Gwinnett High School was recognized by the Georgia Department of Education with Operational status for its implementation of Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) in the last school year. PBIS encourages positive behaviors with recognition for students who exhibit appropriate school conduct