Rising Ninth Grade Student/Parent Information
This page is for students coming from Summerour & Pickneyville Middle Schools. All other Rising Ninth grade students, please find new student registration information here.
The Norcross cluster of schools has two outstanding options for rising ninth graders to choose from as they enter high school. Students and their families will have the opportunity to learn about Norcross High School and Paul Duke High School in October and November. Students will submit their choice for high school along with their elective course selections the first week of December.
Below is a calendar of events students and parents can attend to learn more about Norcross High School. In addition, several other documents/resources are included on the right side of this page to help students and parents make an informed decision.
Rising 9th Grade Registration Timeline
January 6th -10th
- 8th Grade Teachers select courses for Rising 9th Grade Students (4 Core Areas and World Languages)
- Rising 9th grade courses to be entered by Curriculum AP (elective and core classes)
- Rising 9th grade students receive confirmation letters about High School Selection
March 2nd – 6th
Students & Parents: It’s time to think about your courses for next year. As you consider which courses you wish to take, keep in mind that Norcross High School does yearlong registration. This means that whatever you elect to take in the spring will be your classes for the entire next school year. Therefore, you need to make sure you CAREFULLY consider your choices. We hire teachers in the spring based upon your decisions in all areas. We are unable to make schedule changes after the March 6th deadline. “Changing your mind” about taking a course is not a valid reason for a schedule change so please choose wisely and plan ahead.
- Drop/Add for Rising 9th-. Students will receive their High School Course Letters at their current Middle Schools which will outline all of their courses for the 2020-2021 school year. Students/Parents will be able to review course selections for 2020-2021 and update courses during this time. Any course requests made after that date will not be accepted. Any student attending Norcross High School for the 2020-2021 school year can send course request changes to Ashley Watson at Ashley.B.Watson@gcpsk12.org
May 11th – May 15th
- Rising 9th Students will receive their High School Course Letters at their current Middle Schools which will outline all of their courses for the 2020-2021 school year. NO COURSE CHANGES CAN BE MADE AT THIS TIME (the final deadline to change courses was March 6th).
NHS Course Offerings
Norcross offers a multitude of courses across all levels of learning.
GCPS Choice Book
The GCPS Choice Book is for ninth grade students and parents and is typically published during the spring semester. The most recent Choice Book available is for students who began ninth grade in 2018-2019.
GCPS Freshman Book
The GCPS Freshman Book is for eighth grade students and parents and is published during the spring semester. The Freshman Book for students beginning high school in the fall of 2020 is not yet available, however you may want to review information from the Freshman Book published in the spring of 2019.
Important Transition Resources
- NHS Incoming Ninth Grade Brochure
- International Baccalaureate Program Information
(IB Diploma Video)
- 3DE Information
- Athletic Team Tryout/Contact Information
- GCPS Freshmen Book
(for fall 2019 ninth grade students)
An updated book for fall 2020 students will be available in the spring
- Student Clubs and Organizations
- Course Sequences
- 2020-2021 Course Descriptions
- NHS Incoming Ninth Grade Brochure