Lilburn Elementary School
Committed to our BEST
- Lilburn ES
2020-2021 School Plans from Dr. Merisme, Principal
Dear LES Families,
As we prepare for the opening of an unprecedented school year, I want to make sure you are aware that at Lilburn ES, we are committed to the wellbeing of our students and staff. In spite of the challenges we continue to face during the ongoing pandemic, we remain steadfast and consistent with ensuring that safety measures are in place for a healthy and safe return to school for both staff and students. Our administrative team, classroom teachers, support teachers, school nutrition staff, custodians, and front office staff are working diligently to ensure that the utmost safety measures are put in place prior to our students’ arrival on the first day of school.
I am so proud of how our teachers delivered top-notch digital and virtual instruction to our students last semester. We learned a lot about digital instruction during the spring semester, and we are ready to do it again…even better this time. Our staff is here and ready to support all of our students and we are excited to welcome them back to school!
GCPS has given parents an option to choose the type of learning students will participate in this school year, in-person or digital. Lilburn ES students will receive a high-quality education from all of our teachers, regardless of which option our parents select. Our teachers and administrators are highly engaged in collaborative learning and planning to ensure our students have access to equity in education. At Lilburn ES, we are committed to equity in education.
- In-Person Instruction will follow our traditional school schedule with teachers providing students with instruction in all subjects including specials (Art, Music, Physical Education, STEM, and Technology). We know masks, social distancing and new procedures will take a while for students to adjust to and feel comfortable with, but we are confident that our students will learn and practice these new routines and procedures.
- Digital Learning Instruction will also follow the traditional school schedule, but teachers will engage students in their learning through virtual instruction and recorded lessons. Digital learning students will also receive digital instruction in specials classes. The digital learning schedule will mirror the in-person learning school schedule. This means that digital learning teachers will be available to their students during school hours. Digital learning teachers will hold students accountable for logging on to live lessons, completing their work, and turning in their completed work according to schedules put in place by teachers. Grades will be determined by student participation and effort, just as in traditional school. In order for students to participate in digital learning, students will need to have access to the internet and devices at home. We have a limited number of Chromebooks to checkout at Lilburn ES. We will make those Chromebooks available for checkout to families based upon need. Please look for more information regarding device checkout in the near future. GCPS encourages families to take advantage of existing no-and low-cost internet services provided by commercial carriers. The district maintains a list of these providers that is available on the GCPS website.
In order for our teachers to engage their students fully and effectively in learning, it is our intent to have some teachers dedicated to in-person learning, and some teachers dedicated to digital learning. As a disclaimer, staffing decisions and classroom placements may change to accommodate our students and the type of learning in which they will participate this year. I am aware the social-emotional support and mental health safeguards students will need when they return to school, in-person or digitally, will be paramount to their success. Lilburn ES is dedicated to promoting positive student interaction with peers and teachers, whether digital or in-person, in a manner that will support our students’ social-emotional health. In addition to the efforts to support the academic and social-emotional well-being of our students, we have already taken extra safety and cleanliness measures in preparation for our return in the fall, including:
Health and Safety
GCPS has an established protocol for cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting of the building, surfaces, and high-touch objects. We will also establish reasonable and precautionary practices within the school to minimize the risk of infection and/or spread of the virus for our in-person learners by putting the following actions in place:
- Display health guidance posters throughout the building.
- Teach students about ways to stay healthy.
- Establish schedules for restroom and handwashing opportunities.
- Create desk arrangements that support social distancing.
- Provide each common area and classroom with hand sanitizer.
- Refrain from having large gatherings and assemblies.
- Arrange custodial schedules to ensure cleaning of high touch areas during the school day.
- Use an isolation room to separate students with symptoms consistent with COVID-19.
- Implement the district protocol in the event that someone tests positive for COVID-19.
- Close off water fountains to avoid spreading germs. Students may refill water bottles in their classrooms.
- Students and staff will wear masks while in the school building.
- Students will not share materials and supplies.
- Visitors are discouraged except for parents who are checking in or checking out their students.
Although there will be no social distancing on school buses, GCPS has established precautionary practices to minimize health risks.
- Buses will run as normal with traditional maximum capacities but will be cleaned and disinfected after morning and afternoon routes for elementary, middle, and high school students.
- Students and staff will wear masks while on the bus.
- Additional Lilburn ES staff members will monitor car-rider and bus dismissal areas to encourage social distancing.
CDC and Health Department Guidelines are followed, when reasonable and practicable, to ensure safety and minimize health risks.
- School Nutrition
- School Nutrition Personnel (SNP) will be able to serve hot items with meals that are prepackaged.
- SNP will use scanners to scan student IDs with barcodes for breakfast and lunch in lieu of keypads.
- Meals will be eaten in the classrooms.
- When feasible, cafeteria seating will be limited to students sitting on one side of the table, utilizing every other seat.
- Lunch visitors will not be allowed this year.
- We will generate student traffic options in the building to minimize congested travel to and from the commons area and the cafeteria.
- Students will be provided scheduled outdoor and/or indoor recess time.
- The playgrounds will be split into zones for different classes. CDC guidelines recommend that students from different homerooms not play together during recess.
- Social distancing will be encouraged.
- Media Center
- We will establish a process for Media Center visits and checkout of materials that allow students to check out and handle their own materials.
- Book return processes will limit the handling of books and student traffic inside the Media Center.
- Computers in the media center and computer labs will face the same direction and be spaced out when possible. They will be sanitized after student use.
- Field Trips
- Currently, no field trips will be scheduled this year. Students will have an opportunity to participate in virtual field trips when possible.
Please help us to keep our school community safe. We ask that parents and guardians take their children’s temperatures daily and allow their students to stay home from school if they are sick. Generally, students who have a fever can return to school if they are fever-free for 24 hours without the help of medication. However, this year, CDC and Department of Health guidelines and GCPS protocols will be followed for students who display Covid-19 symptoms. In addition, if your child or anyone in your home is sick and has tested positive for COVID-19, please contact your child’s teacher or the school immediately.
I will keep you updated with any pertinent information and changes that need to occur during the school year. We will have a successful school year. I am certain that if we all work together, your children, our most precious treasures, will have a phenomenal school year. Remember, we are all in this together.
We are ONE Family... LES parents, guardians, students, educators, and community supporters.
We are all learning together.
We are all figuring this out together.
We are all taking care of each other.
We are all in this together!
Your Proud Principal,
Dr. Guerlène Merisme