Adapted Sports Program
The Gwinnett HEAT is the coed, adapted sports program for Gwinnett County Public Schools. The adapted sports program gives physically-impaired students an opportunity to participate in athletic competitions.
Gwinnett County Public Schools supports the idea of providing sports opportunities for all student athletes. The system recognizes some student athletes cannot participate in regular athletics due to a physical disability or orthopedic impairment either acquired at birth or from an accident.
Sports Schedules of Seasons
As a member program of the American Association of Adapted Sports Programs, the Gwinnett HEAT participate in the following sports seasons:
Fall: Wheelchair Handball
Winter: Wheelchair Basketball
Spring: Wheelchair Football
Interested students, parents, and family members should contact Mike Phillips, Area Coordinator for the Adapted Sports Program at 678-301-6885 or email Mike Phillips.
- Which students are eligible to participate in the Adapted Sports Program?
- Do male and female students participate on separate teams?
- What are some examples of disability groups served by the program?
- Is participation limited to students who use wheelchairs?
- What sports are offered?
- Where do practice sessions and games take place?
- How do students sign up for the program?