Skip To Main Content
Gwinnett County Public Schools

Family Changes

   If the status of a student’s custody changes after the student is en- rolled, the enrolling parent/guardian or agency shall notify the local school of new address and contact phone numbers. Parents/guardians may be required to facilitate and obtain appropriate guardianship or custody of their child to avoid referral to an outside agency or withdrawal. State law generally prohibits attempts to make a change of custody of a minor child by removing the child from the premises of the school without permission of the person who enrolled the student. This prohibition applies even if there is a court order granting custody of the child to the person seeking to make the change.